Former Arsenal star and Chelsea fan Paul Merson has made a surprise recommendation to the Chelsea board regarding who should be manager at the end of this season at Stamford Bridge.
Speaking to Sky Sports’ the Debate show, he said: “I don’t know how, when Leicester went for Brendan Rodgers, that someone at Chelsea didn’t ring him and say ‘just wait, just wait six months’ because I can’t see Sarri being there because the fan just aren’t having it.”
“If they’re not allowed to buy anybody, Brendan Rodgers gives youngsters a chance, he gets people playing a certain way and you only have to look at what he’s done at Leicester in eight weeks – they’re passing Arsenal off the pitch.”
“Last year and the year before they were having 30/40 per cent of the ball top whack, now they’re passing a team that can play football off the park and if they can’t but anybody he’d give the youngsters a chance.”
“You know what he does? He makes players better. It’s what good coaches do and he does that.”
For all his achievements at Celtic, we respectfully disagree with your delusional punditry Paul.
- Next permanent Chelsea manager odds
- Zidane next Chelsea manager odds
- Frank Lampard next Chelsea manager odds
- John Terry next Chelsea manager odds
- Sarri will not be Chelsea manager next season!
- Maurizio Sarri odds to get sacked: will Sarri get fired by Chelsea?
- Zidane ready to join Chelsea, but on these conditions
- Sarri on the edge: What are the latest odds for his sacking and who has the best odds to take over?